Installing New Wiring in Your Home

Installing New Wiring in Your Home

3 Electrical Dangers That Could Cause a Fire in Your Home

by June Alvarez

An electrical fire is one of those tragedies that no one expects in their home. However, reality dictates otherwise; in 2015, 4070 house fires occurred in NSW, and they resulted in around 17 deaths. Several factors are to blame for home fires, but electrical faults are among the leading causes. Taking preventative maintenance measures in your home can protect your home from adding up to the statistics of domestic fires in Australia. In this light, you need to be aware of the following dangers which are common causes of electrical hazards and fires in homes.

Outdated outlets and fixtures

Was your home built in the 80s or 90s? If so, have you ever replaced the electrical wiring, sockets, and fixtures? Most old sockets and fixtures such as power strips come with two-prong receptacles. These fixtures only have the live and neutral wires. They do not have the ground wire that earths electrical charge to prevent electrocution. Two-prong receptacles can also cause electrical fires as there is no safety wiring to discharge excess charge to the ground.

If you have outdated outlets and fixtures, it is a great idea to get them replaced with modern ones which come with the ideal safety features to prevent electrocution and house fires. These ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) which cut off power in the event of an electrical fault.

Faulty electrical wiring

Wiring faults are common in old homes where the electrical wires have never been replaced. This is because, over time, the wiring insulation tends to wear, and this can expose the wires. If the live wires come into contact with each other, they will spark and cause a fire. Inspect old wiring for worn insulation replace it to avoid such hazards in the home.

Another cause for concern is if your home is infested with rodents such as rats, mice and squirrels. These pesky creatures chew on electrical wiring and expose the live wires. This may cause the live wires to come into contact and cause an electrical spark. If you have any rodents in the home, beware that they can cause more damage than just ravaging through your food in the kitchen.

Low-quality electrical products

Cheap is always expensive when it comes to buying electrical fixtures and equipment. The few dollars you save buying low-quality outlets, power strips, or other equipment can cost you the entire house. Some cheap products do not meet the electrical standards. When plugged in, they can overheat, damage your outlets or cause sparking which may cause a fire. Always invest in quality and approved electrical products to protect your home.

Contact an electrician for electrical inspection and repairs to protect your house from these hazards that could result in a fire.


Share  

About Me

Installing New Wiring in Your Home

Hello! My name is Joanna and this is my electrical DIY and repair blog. I decided to start this new blog so I could help others to learn about easy DIY jobs they can complete around their homes. It is also important to understand when it is time to call in a professional electrical contractor. When I moved into an old property, I didn't have a clue about the electrical side of things. I was really worried because the lights would flicker and sometimes the sockets would feel warm. I called in an electrical contractor and he helped me to get the place repaired and gave me some fantastic advice.

Categories

Archive