"If it's not broken, don't fix it" is a saying that many homeowners go by when it comes to maintaining their appliances and equipment. However, this does not apply to electricity. Unlike other systems in the home, the electrical system may not always show apparent signs of damage. By the time you realise that something is wrong, you may be on your way to incurring substantial repair costs. What's more, it may even take you a house fire to find out that you had an electrical issue.
An electrical evaluation is a critical step in maintaining safety and reducing costs associated with repairs. Here are some of the top signs that your home may be in need of an electrical evaluation soon.
You've had no previous evaluations
Have you lived in your home for ten or more years and never had an assessment? Like most things today, electrical fixtures are changing with technology. What worked in homes a decade ago may be obsolete today. If you have old two-prong sockets, damaged outlets, or old wiring, it will only take a while before they develop problems. What's more, plugging in modern tech appliances in old circuits will only increase the chances of damage. If your home has never had an electrical evaluation, it is the perfect candidate for the assessment.
Electrical problems are a norm
Are you used to dealing with blown bulbs, overheated sockets, or tripping circuits in your home? While some electrical issues may seem normal, they are an indication that something bigger is cooking. Your breaker panel or electrical wiring may be in need of replacement. So, before you go to the fuse box to switch on that tripped circuit, think about contacting an electrician. They will carry out an intensive inspection of the wiring and other fixtures in your home to identify the underlying cause of the regular electrical issues.
There are signs of faulty wiring
Do your lights flicker often, and you assume that there is an issue with the power supply from the grid? Y Do you hear noises in your breaker panel and ignore them? Have you recently noticed one or two raccoons or rats in your home? All these are signs that your home may have faulty wiring. In the latter case, rodents chew on wires and expose them to damage. Exposed wires can even result in a fire if the live terminals come into contact with each other and cause a spark. Don't wait for the problems to escalate before carrying out an electrical evaluation.
Contact electrical repair companies today for an assessment of your electrical wiring and fixtures so that any faulty components can be replaced.
Hello! My name is Joanna and this is my electrical DIY and repair blog. I decided to start this new blog so I could help others to learn about easy DIY jobs they can complete around their homes. It is also important to understand when it is time to call in a professional electrical contractor. When I moved into an old property, I didn't have a clue about the electrical side of things. I was really worried because the lights would flicker and sometimes the sockets would feel warm. I called in an electrical contractor and he helped me to get the place repaired and gave me some fantastic advice.